Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Year of Bronze

Day before yesterday (8/7) was mine and CJ's 8th anniversary. Our lives have gotten so hectic I didn't even get this posted on time. So, here is my Ode to CJ:

It is a miracle we are together. Neither of us had planned to marry, much less each other! Our story is very funny and so... us! There was little romance, but, oh, so much excitement. I couldn't imagine any one else I could spend my life with. Both of us had other options on different people to marry- believe it or not. I can't speak for his lady choices (as grand as they were); but my choices for gentlemen were constant, steady, and predictable. But that isn't what I wanted. Even in the height of my relationships with these guys I knew they weren't who God had planned for me. Ending the relationship right before CJ, I figured God wanted a single Sugar. Boy, was I wrong. Lo and behold I was to marry a man's man. One who was totally created and reared in the wild; a man who went against every web and flow there was. He didn't go over hurdles, he went through them. Our courtship was not a normal one filled with bouquets of flowers and sweet gifts. On the contrary, when we did get to see each other it was only on the weekends with an exhausted CJ driving 5 hours from the previous week of "training." Our "dates" were dutch and usually with an entourage of about half a dozen other friends who wanted to see CJ. I asked him early on in our courtship why he didn't bring me flowers or make special dates. He said, "Sugar, I'm planning to marry you. When we are married, I'm not going to do all of that stuff because that just isn't who I am. Why would I set you up to think that is what you're getting?"
Few people can handle CJ's no holds bar honesty. In a world where we teach our children to be politically correct, CJ is far from that. He does not seek out to hurt people's feelings- despite popular opinion- but he definitely has no problem speaking what is on his mind. Some find this brutish, but I LOVE IT (most days)! I don't have to worry if my butt looks too big or if I have something in my teeth. My man will not only tell me, but probably try to get me straight.
I didn't marry CJ for what he could do for me, though. I married him because of the man he was (and is). I didn't want a man to cater to my wants and needs. I wanted a man who would lead me to the ends of earth and spread the good news. My soul longed for a warrior and warriors don't always go with the flow and certainly aren't afraid of rocking the boat.

So, 8 moves, 4 dogs, 2 states, and 3 baby boys later, my man is still my man. "Hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed" (2 Cor. 4:8-9). All through our joys and trials, I love I can rely on CJ to fight with me (and sometimes against me). I love the way we feed off of each other. I love how we balance one another. Mostly, I love him. I hope our boys can see early on what a great man their dad is. I pray God allows us a long life together. There is no one I would rather fight the good fight with!

Note: Pictures to come soon :)

4 comments:

Buffie said...

How wonderful! I am soooo very happy for you and your marriage!!

The LaBouffs said...

Dude, I LOVE the new layout :)

Happy Anniversary! I hope you had a huge celebration :)Congrats on 8 years and here's to 80!!

LeslieW. said...

The layout looks good! Congrats on 8 years, here's to countless more! We are so glad you are our friends...how interesting that God seat that up that we, as couples, are so much alike. He has big plans for you guys...and our friendship! Love you guys

Dena said...

Awwwww- How sweet! I think the two of you do indeed make the perfect pair ! And I LOVE that CJ tells it like it is! He do make me laugh!